History:

The Clawson Fire Department has a very interesting and colorful past since its inception many years ago. It has continued to grow, evolve and change as a working department within the City of Clawson. . 

The fire department was organized in the Village of Clawson early in the year of 1922. The department¡¯s first piece of equipment consisted of a Deluge Chemical unit mounted on a Ford chassis. This took care of the few needs of the village in those days.

During 1922 action was started toward a water supply system. Bonds were issued, and a well was installed. In 1923, water mains were installed as well.

During 1923 a gentlemen by the name of Lester Straub was appointed as the fire department¡¯s first chief. He served the department in this capacity from 1923 through 1929 and again from 1931 through 1933. 

It was the usual practice each year for the Clawson Volunteer Fire Department to send at least three of its members to the annual state fire college. With this training and the aid of regular in house training drills the department was kept up to date on the latest and best methods of fire protection.

In 1928 a Harrington Seaborg alarm system was installed having a system of eight (8) boxes placed at various places throughout the village. The system had a capacity of forty (40) boxes in order to cover future demand. Any call from one of the boxes was registered on a paper punch tape in the police office and automatically turned on the fire siren.

In the nineteen thirties and early forty¡¯s before what is now the City of Troy, was organized, and the Troy Fire Department had not yet been established, the area was mostly farm land. The Clawson Volunteer Fire Department at that time handled fire calls as far north as South Boulevard.

As the years continued to go buy the Clawson Volunteer Fire Department worked to improve itself by constantly updating its equipment and training so that it could provide a valuable service to its residents and tax payers. At this same time the city continued to make improvements in its water supply system as new areas of the city began to grow.

In the years prior to the current city hall building being built, the city council held there meetings on the second floor of the old fire hall on Jefferson. During those days the Justice of the Peace presided at a table in the kitchen of the fire hall. When the loud fire siren went off , court proceedings were often delayed until all was quiet again.

As the time approached to begin to think about replacing the old International pumper, the members of the department began to put together a list of the features that they thought should be included on a new truck. It was soon realized that the newer equipment being built was larger and that a new truck would not fit in the existing fire station. The old station was a two bay building with the Mack and International being parked one behind the other, and the American LaFrance in its own place on the other side. An addition to the east side of the fire station was constructed in 1966 giving the station three useable bays, as well as being able to house the newer more modern equipment.An addition to the east side of the fire station was constructed in 1966 giving the station three useable bays, as well as being able to house the newer more modern equipment.

October of 1980 the city opened its new and current fire station. The fire department was able to move into the new building and celebrate its opening during fire prevention week. The new station was dedicated that year at its annual open house. Clawson residents were able to tour and see the new building. As the Clawson firefighters settled into the new building, the old fire hall on Jefferson Street was torn down and is now a municipal parking lot.

Clawson Fire Department Chiefs
Lester Straub 1923 - 1929
Charles Baker 1930 - 1931
Lester Straub 1931 - 1933
Robert Allison 1934 - 1935
William Mancour 1936 - 1938
Norman Bowen 1939 - 1946
Charles Nugent 1947 - 1948
Vernon Whiting 1948 - 1951
Grant Wedge 1952 - 1953
Albert Thomas 1954 - 1956
Elsworth Brown 1957 - 1959
Herbert Lepla 1960 - 1961
Harold Plauman 1961 - 1963
Herbert Lepla 1964 - 1965
Eugene Hiler 1966 - 1967
James McCurry 1968 - 1970
Dean Sanderson 1971 - 1973
Harvey Malone 1974 - 1980
Robert Bouse 1981 - 1982
Richard Lepla 1983 - 1987
Kraig Bouse 1988 - 2003
Daniel Pena 2004 - 2005
Douglas Ballard 2005 - 2010
Richard Dylewski 2010- Current